Lead Paint Information

Paint it glad
Creative Commons License photo credit: eMaringolo

Lead paint and lead poisoning is a hot topic nowadays and if you own an older home or rental property you’re probably pretty aware of the issue but may not know much about lead paint and what to do if your home has it.

Oil based paint made between 1940 and 1960 often had lead in it as a drying agent. Homes built between 1940 and 1960 are often most suspect but homes built both before and after this range are not automatically exempt. It’s best to have any home that was built before 1980 inspected for lead paint.

Lead poisoning occurs when the lead is ingested but most people laugh at the idea of kids or anyone else eating paint chips. It’s actually more likely that you’ll inhale or ingest lead dust which can form from such simple acts as raising or lowering a painted window frame.

If you find lead paint on your walls you have a few solutions available, repainting the walls does help but doesn’t eliminate the hazard completely. Having the paint removed by a professional will cure the problem but its expensive, very involved and the process can actually create a lot of lead dust.

If you decide to simply paint over the lead paint then you may want to do routine dust removal with a high phosphorous cleaning solution. This will not eliminate your problem but will help you control the dust issues.