Avoid Landlord Shortcuts
photo credit: zimpenfish
Outdated or generic forms. There's nothing wrong with a generic form if you go through it carefully to make sure that it fits your situation. And outdated forms are just asking for trouble. Keep up to date on all of your legal documents.
Rushing through screenings. Or skipping the screening altogether. It's important to follow every single aspect of a tenant screening for every prospective tenant that comes along. You could not only rent to the wrong people but face future discrimination suits.
Not following through on tenant requests. Whether your tenant wants to ask a simple question or is demanding a major repair, you need to keep the lines of communication going and respond promptly to all tenant issues.
Keeping security deposits. Either keeping the deposits entirely or holding on to them too long is a big no-no. You want to keep your good reputation and standing in the public and this is one thing that really upsets tenants and tenant advocacy groups.
Be professional in everything you do and remember that you're running a business that directly affects other people's lives. Shortcuts are tempting but often lead to more problems than they are worth.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community