Avoid Tenant Lawsuits
One of the most common lawsuits that landlords find placed against them by tenants is fair housing disputes. There are some steps you can take as a landlord to try to avoid a fair housing lawsuit from your tenants and the first ones start before you even have a tenant.
Every person who responds to your vacancy needs to be treated in exactly the same manner. This means that you need to have the same application and screening process for everyone, no matter what their age, race, gender, etc. If you discover a good business reason not to rent to someone during the screening process it's a good idea to note these on the application.
Know the Law
You should become familiar with all laws relating to fair housing whether they're federal or local laws. If you happen to have a staff or property management company its important that they also understand all of the rules related to fair housing for your region.
Stay the Course
It seems obvious that all tenants should be treated equally but you may be tempted to give someone a break based on their situation but by doing this you're simply setting yourself up for future discrimination suits from other tenants. So stay the course and treat all tenants the same.
Even if you do everything right it's not a guarantee that you won't be sued so keep accurate records to prove your case in court.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community