How to Evict a Tenant
Evicting a tenant is never a fun thing to do and it can be incredibly tedious but at times it's really the only solution to your problems. To properly evict a tenant you need to follow several rules, or you could face legal actions by the tenant.
Your first step is making a list of the legal reasons you are terminating the lease. Keep records of all of the violations.
Next, you'll need to give the tenant written notice that you are going to be evicting them and terminating their lease.
If the tenant doesn't correct the violations and come to a new agreement with you and if the date of termination passes and they have not moved it's time to file a lawsuit. If the tenant is particularly stubborn they may counter sue, be prepared for a lengthy legal battle.
Every state has its own rules for tenants and landlords and counties and cities have further rules that must be adhered to in this sort of contract situation. To make sure you're successful you should not only familiarize yourself with the rules that govern your property, but also contact a local housing authority or a real estate attorney to make sure you're taking all the right steps. If you do not follow the letter of the law and practice "self-help" you're putting yourself and your property in jeopardy and may face a protracted legal battle, which you may not win.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community