Hurricane season start a time to study risks, plan for safety
Property management companies, owners and renters in affected areas should be prepared for the risks associated with the recent beginning of Atlantic hurricane season.
Extreme weather and natural disasters have been a growing concern in recent years, with 2011 in particular marked as one of the most severe on record in terms of property damage caused by various weather events. This year has already seen major property damage caused by wildfires, although there have been fewer disasters than in 2011 so far.
Now, Atlantic hurricane season has started, threatening damage caused by flooding, wind and other related issues. NeighborWorks America suggests that renters should make plans and be prepared to help each other if necessary in the event of a hurricane. It might be appropriate to pay particular attention to fellow tenants and neighbors who are elderly or disabled.
The organization suggests that those in at-risk areas develop an evacuation plan and learn about the potential dangers so that they know when it is time to use that plan. Such plans may need to take into consideration medical conditions and other potential complications. Items such as important medication should be listed to ensure they are not left behind in the rush of a sudden departure.
It could also be a good time for residents and owners to review their insurance policies and make certain their coverage is up to date. Renters should check that their belongings are listed so they can show what needs to be replaced if their items are damaged or lost.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community