New York tops London, Tokyo for top commercial market in 2011
By the end of 2011, it was a major North American city, not one in Europe or Asia, that was noted as the top commercial real estate market in the world, according to a report, thanks in large part to a considerably strong apartment sector.
The report, by real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield, indicates New York City beat out London and Tokyo as the premier CRE market in the world last year. Slightly more than $28 billion was invested in the Big Apple during the year.
Including NYC, Greg Vorwaller, global head of capital markets for C&W, stated the biggest markets in the U.S. saw the most activity in 2011.
"Consistent with what we saw globally, there was a flight to quality in the Americas with investors focusing on best-in-class assets in flagship markets (New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago)," he said.
In total, $53.6 billion was put into multifamily property investment in the Americas, making up a substantial portion of the $235.7 billion in CRE investment during the year.
The news of a continually growing multifamily market in many areas around the country could yield significant returns for rental management companies.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community