They say that moving house is one of life’s most stressful events, and it’s also not something many of us do too often – so it can certainly provide a few challenges. Here’s a list of common problems that occur when moving house, and if you are aware of these possibilities in advance, you might be able to avoid some disasters!
- Breakages of your belongings – whether you pack yourself or use professionals, there is always the possibility that not everything will turn up intact at your new home.
- Children (and even pets) can be particularly distressed or badly affected by the upheaval of a move.
- Delays in finance or contractual arrangements, especially with the place you’re moving to – you might end up having to move out but having nowhere to go for a few days or weeks.
- Services like electricity, gas, water, telephone and the internet may be cut off too early in your old house and not connected quickly enough in the new place.
- Costs related to moving house can blow out quickly if you don’t keep an eye on them. Professional removalists can charge extra if they need to dismantle furniture themselves or you might need to pay for a night or two in a hotel if the move is not completed within a day.