So you’re moving into a new apartment. Congratulations! By doing this you are opening up a new chapter in your life, and many new memories are going to be created there. But don’t get too hasty when looking at the market. Below are ten things you should keep in mind as you explore your options.
1. Do you have any pets? If you do, make sure you are aware of the apartment building’s policy on animals. Some will allow one dog and one cat, some may have a limit on how much they can weigh, and some will not allow them at all.
2. Can you park your car? How safe is it? This is especially crucial in the city, so make sure to check.
3. Find out if there is an insect or rodent problem. Ask the present tenants if possible, or the landlord for information.
4. Take into consideration the safety of the area and building. You should never live where you feel vulnerable.
5. Make sure that you would have a reliable landlord. Can you reach them if you need them? How are they with fixing problems in a prompt manner? Do they make you uncomfortable?
6. Research to see if there are any schools in the area if you have or plan to have children.
7. Realize how far away you would be from your job or recreation areas such as restaurants and shops.
8. Do you need to have an in unit washer and dryer? Check to see that you wouldn’t have to use a shared laundry room or resort to a dry cleaner.
9. Do you plan on having guests over frequently? Look for a place that they could all fit in and sleep in comfortably if need be.
10. Be aware of what floor you might be on, and keep in mind certain inconveniences that would result.