How to be a Good Landlord
photo credit: Matsuo Amon
You know that having the right tenants is key to having a good landlord/tenant relationship. But being the right sort of landlord or property manager is also an important element in this symbiotic relationship. Follow the tips below to be a highly regarded property owner.
Don't Discriminate. Don't even make it look like you're discriminating. Make a conscientious effort to treat all of your tenants fairly, even treat your applicants fairly and never give anyone a chance to scream discrimination.
Stay on Top of your Property. Keep up with all necessary repairs, consider tenant repair requests promptly, and maintain the property in the most efficient way possible.
Maintain Tenant Privacy. Respect your tenant's right to privacy and do not enter their property without ample notice or unless there is an emergency situation.
Properly Handle Security Deposits. Even though the tenant is leaving, your reputation is at stake. Handle all security deposit issues within the letter of the law and fairly. If you're going to take part of the deposit, then carefully document why and only take legal deductions. If you're going to be returning part or all of the deposit, do it in a timely manner.
Be Available. Give your tenants a valid number to reach you at all times if there is an emergency in one of the units. If you do not have a property manager on site, keep contact information up to date for non-emergency issues.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community