More Tax Deductions for Rental Property Owners
You can deduct any travel expense you incur to take care of your rental property. This includes going to the hardware store to get cleaning supplies as well as meeting a tenant at the property. When you deduct travel expenses, keep good records. IRS auditors like to take a close look at travel documentation to make sure you have a legitimate expense.
The IRS states improvements add to the value of the property and prolong its useful life. For example, replacing a roof falls under improvements, whereas fixing a leaking roof falls under the repairs category. With repairs, you can deduct the cost in the year you make the repair. The cost of an improvement is recovered over time through depreciation.
The IRS sets different depreciation schedules depending on the "useful life" of the asset. Improvements are on the same schedule as the property itself, 27.5 years for residential real estate.
While depreciation provides a benefit in the years you have the rental property, when you sell a rental it can come back to haunt you. The depreciation has to be "recaptured" thus you end up paying tax on the amounts you depreciated.?
We have covered a few of the great tax deductions available to rental property owners. Others include advertising, cleaning, utilities, tax preparation services. Check with your property manager, some have tax knowledge they can share with you. Also, go to the IRS website to review IRS Tax Publication 527.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community