Property Management Laws in Massachusetts
Must Massachusetts property management companies have a real estate broker's license?
NO. Although renting and leasing activities are considered real estate activities undertaken by a real estate broker, if those activities are incidental to his or her involvement as a property manager, a real estate broker license is not required.
For more information about these and other Massachusetts property management requirements and exceptions, please contact the Massachusetts Board of Real Estate Salespersons and Brokers.
Must Massachusetts community association managers have a real estate broker's license?
NO. A broker's license is not required to manage community associations or condo associations in Massachusetts.
For questions about property management requirements in Massachusetts, please contact the Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers & Salespersons.
MUST-KNOW INFO FOR PROPERTY MANAGERS:
Massachusetts Eviction Laws
Evictions are awful - perhaps the worst task property managers must perform. If you're in the business long enough, you'll likely have to go through the eviction process at least once.
Here's a local example of a Massachusetts eviction: A showdown occurred in Salem in late 2014 when a man who had recently lost his job was unfortunate enough to also be given an eviction notice. The overwhelming stress of the situation resulted in a six-hour standoff with law enforcement, during which he threw explosives out the window and fatally injured himself.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community