Few things are more satisfying than a vacation spent at the beach. Thanks to the current real estate market, beach houses are more affordable than ever. Here are some tips for buying a beach house that will provide your family with great memories for years to come.
1. Become familiar with the areas you are considering. Spend enough time to know whether the lifestyle and attractions fit your family’s needs.
2. Make a list of what you require in a beach house. Think about number of bedrooms, full kitchen, etc..
3. Talk to people who already live in the area. Get a feel for the locals, since they are your potential neighbors. Ask people who have lived in the area for a few years what they like and any concerns they have.
4. Speak with local real estate agents. They have the knowledge to help you find the perfect beach house.
5. Find out the costs of taxes, insurance and other additional costs, so you can make an informed choice.
6. Have any potential house inspected by someone who is familiar with the unique challenges facing a house built close to water, such as flooding.
7. If you will be using the home seasonally, plan the cost of having someone local maintain the grounds. You may also want to install a security system that contacts a local friend in the event of a problem.
8. Make sure there’s enough to do. Staying in a beach house is fun, but what about when the novelty wears off and the kids need an outlet for their excess enthusiasm?
9. If you are only planning on staying seasonally, consider the potential revenue if you rent the house when you aren’t there. Also discuss any insurance costs related to this option.
10. Make sure there’s enough room for any “toys” such as boats, jetskis, kayaks, etc.. It’s helpful to have a garage available to store these items, rather than having to pay for seasonal storage.