Landlords risk the possibility of being held responsible for criminal acts that occur on their property. Limit the chance of being liable in this situation by taking preemptive steps and then reacting appropriately if something does occur.
It's important that landlords start with an awareness of state and local laws regarding tenant safety and then follow those laws to the T, installing proper locks, lighting and other safety precautions.
Provide tenants with an information sheet that gives them tips to help prevent crime, you may even want to incorporate this information into regular newsletters, common area bulletin postings, and tenant meetings. Keep tenants vigilant and cautious as well.
Listen to tenants, professional contacts, local governmental officials, police officers or anyone who talks about crime in the area. Learn about the most common types and frequency of crime in your area and take steps to prevent it. Follow up on tenant security issues as promptly as possible.
If you have tenants engaging in illegal activities it's important to take steps to immediately remedy the situation. Even if a tenant is paying rent on time and doesn't require a lot of attention, if they're committing crimes on your property and you know about it you can be held responsible. They're also inviting an unknown quantity onto your property which could be catastrophic.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community