One of the most challenging parts of running a real estate business, big or small, is keeping your property occupied. Holding an empty property is like watching money slip through an hourglass, each day a rental property sits vacant.
One way to avoid costly vacancies is to list your properties on all the right sites, quickly.. This process, known as rental syndication, can help you find tenants and keep your property occupied with high-quality renters if you can use your time wisely.
Read on to learn what rental listing syndication is, the best sites for landlords to work with, and how this technique can bolster profits over time.
What is Rental Listing Syndication?
Rental listing syndication is the process of distributing property listings to multiple online platforms to increase visibility and reach a wider audience of potential tenants.
The term rental listing syndication site describes a website that advertises rental properties to a broad, general population—think Zillow or Apartments.com.
In addition, rental listing syndication software refers to a tool that allows landlords and property managers to post a rental listing on many of these sites at once without having to re-enter property details for each listing.
Using this software, landlords and property managers save time and effort by automating the rental syndication process and posting rental listings on multiple websites simultaneously.
Why is Rental Listing Syndication Important for Landlords?
Rental listing syndication is how landlords cast a wide net to find the perfect tenants, so it’s critical to understand what the term means and how to apply it to your real estate investment workflow. Knowing where landlords and property managers can market (or “syndicate”) their properties online is also important.
As stated, a rental listing syndication website is where a property manager or landlord can list their vacant or soon-to-be vacant properties to fill them ASAP. Once the perfect listing is prepared, it is time to syndicate—aka post—it to popular rental listing sites where your ideal renters typically search.
Top 10 Best Rental Listing Syndication Sites
When looking for the perfect tenant to care for your rental property, landlords should seek as many potential tenants as possible .
With the help of rental syndication software, you’ll be able to do this in a few clicks and manage any communication that comes in from these sites in one place. You’ll be able to cast a wider net, without the extra time commitment that strategy usually involves. More on that later.
First, take a look at our picks for the top 10 rental listing sites below.
- Apartments.com. Contrary to its name, Apartments.com® also lists single-family homes, townhomes, and condos for rent. It’s user-friendly and highly rated. Plus, those Jeff Goldblum advertisements are a hoot and a half.
- Zillow. Zillow® is one of the most popular real estate listing websites in the United States, offering a range of rental properties, including apartments, houses, and condos. Zillow provides valuable information on home values, mortgage rates, and neighborhood insights to help users make informed decisions when buying or renting a property. A user-friendly interface and comprehensive database make it a go-to resource for prospective renters navigating the real estate market.
- Rent.com. Rent.com® is a dedicated rental listing syndication site that allows renters to search for apartments and houses across the United States. The site also offers resources for renters, including renter's insurance and moving services. Additionally, Rent.com showcases virtual tours and high-quality photos of each property to help renters make informed decisions.
- Trulia. Trulia® is another real estate website that features rental listings. The site allows users to search for properties by location, price range, and tenant amenities. Trulia also provides users with detailed information about the properties' neighborhoods, including school ratings, crime statistics, and local amenities such as restaurants and parks, making it easier for renters to decide where to live.
- HotPads. HotPads® is a rental listing syndication site that offers additional resources for renters, including moving services and rental calculators. A popular real estate website that provides a wide range of property listings for renters, buyers, and sellers, HotPads has a map-based search function, various property types, and a mobile app that allows users to search for properties on the go.
- Zumper. Zumper® is an online apartment rental platform that connects renters with property managers and landlords. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Zumper operates in over 100 cities across the US and Canada, offering a large selection of rental listings. Zumper also offers a premium service called Zumper Pro, designed for property managers and landlords. Zumper Pro provides tools for managing listings, screening tenants, and collecting rent payments online.
- Craigslist. Craigslist® is a popular classified website with a section dedicated to rental listings. The site is free and offers various rental properties but has less oversight than other rental listing sites. Stay aware and safe when using sites like these.
- ForRent. ForRent.com® is a rental listing site with apartments and houses for rent across the United States. It provides listings of available rental properties that can be filtered by location, price range, number of bedrooms, and other criteria. ForRent.com also offers tools and resources to help renters, such as neighborhood information, community reviews, and interactive floor plans. Finally, ForRent.com also provides landlords and property managers resources, such as marketing and advertising tools, tenant screening services, and property management software.
- Apartment Finder. Apartment Finder® is a rental listing site that allows renters to search for apartments and houses across the United States. The site also offers resources for renters, including moving services and renter's insurance.
- Buildium. Buildium® is the secret weapon of rental listing syndication. Much more than a rental listing site, Buildium is property management software that allows users to simultaneously create informative and compelling property descriptions, then list those properties on top rental syndication sites. Each listing is distributed to various rental syndication sites, including many of the sites on this list. Buildium also makes it easy to manage all the listings and see how each performs by organizing inquiries and applicants. Learn more here.
5 Tips for Rental Listing Syndication
Now that you know where to syndicate your rental listing, you may wonder, “How?” How can you effectively syndicate rental listings to reach prospective tenants? Here are some crucial tips to remember when listing your rental property:
- Create an eye-catching listing for your property. Consider what will catch your ideal tenant’s eye when creating a rental listing. One of the most essential elements of a great property listing, for example, is high-quality photos. These can help justify the price of your rental. A couple of great photos with a catchy headline and illustrative, informative description.
- Take advantage of multiple listing websites. Do not feel you need to limit yourself to one or even three websites when syndicating your rental property. Instead, cast the widest net possible to attract tenants by listing on multiple syndication sites.
- Don’t forget about social media. Social media is another great method for rental listing syndication. Sharing your listing across Facebook and other social platforms can expand your reach and increase the potential for tenant applications.
- Use automated software for the biggest impact. You do not need to syndicate rental listings manually. You may use technology like property management software with rental listing capabilities to help automate and streamline the process.
- Hire a property manager to help. A property management expert is like a cheat code when it comes to filling vacant units and keeping existing tenants renting from you in the first place. They’ll likely already have knowledge of the best sites and marketing strategies for your property, along with the syndication tools to get stand-out listings—which they can also help you craft—in front of as many eyes as possible. All Property Management partners with an extensive network of property managers, making it easy to find the right one for you.
Rental Listing Syndication, Made Easy
Employing the strategy of rental listing syndication goes beyond attracting great tenants. It saves an inordinate amount of time since you or your property manager will only have to write one impressive real estate listing instead of starting at square one on each new site. And when you combine re-using a fantastic listing with rental listing syndication software, you’ve got the best of both worlds.
If—like most landlords—you face struggles managing your real estate investments, it may be time to start the search for a property management company to lighten your load. An experienced professional can ensure you do all you can to maximize rental listing syndication and attract and retain your property's best possible tenants.