In Florida, can my company manage commercial properties for others without a license if we hire an outside brokerage company to do all the leasing?
Yes, you can handle a lot of commercial property management issues without a license in the state of Florida. Provided you stay away from renting and leasing activities on a commission basis, which do require a license in the state of Florida.
Want to Find a Local Property Manager?
According to the
Florida Department of Licensing,
you can hire an outside broker (or brokerage company) to handle your leasing activity while you concentrate on other aspects of property management, such as maintenance, landscaping, accounting, etc. There just has to be a licensed broker responsible for the compensated leasing activity.
Additionally, you don’t need a license to manage property if you work directly for the property owner as an employee, and you draw a salary rather than a commission.
If you are managing restaurant or hotel space, you may need a separate license from the
Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants,
For more information, contact the Florida Division of Real Estate at (850)487-1395, or visit
Writing about personal finance and investments since 1999, Jason Van Steenwyk started as a reporter with Mutual Funds Magazine and served as editor of Investors’ Digest. He now publishes feature articles in many publications including Annuity Selling Guide, Bankrate.com, and more.
- HOME / CONDO
- Single Home or Condo (Valued up to $300K)
- Single Home or Condo ($300K to $500K)
- Single Home or Condo ($500K to $1 Million)
- Single Home or Condo (Over $1 Million)
- Multi-Family (2-4 units)
- Multi-Family (5-19 units)
- Multi-Family (20-99 units)
- Multi-Family (100+ units)
- Homeowners Association (2-49 units)
- Homeowners Association (50-99 units)
- Homeowners Association (100+ units)
- Condominium Association (2-49 units)
- Condominium Association (50-99 units)
- Condominium Association (100+ units)
- Retail (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Retail (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Retail (100,000+ sqft)
- Office (Up to 9,999 sqft)
- Office (10,000 - 100,000 sqft)
- Office (100,000+ sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Warehouse/Distribution (100,000+ sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (Up to 100,000 sqft)
- Light Manufacturing (100,000+ sqft)
- Parking Garage
- Vacation (1-2 units)
- Vacation (3+ units)
- Other Associations (Hotel, Resort etc.)
- Mobile Home Community